Vytautas Magnus University Library (5828 m2) mission − to provide the University studies, research with information resources and information services, to develop the information literacy of the members of University academic community, to implement and develop advanced library services and technologies.
Library has accumulated 1,1 mln. traditional documents and acquires about 20,000 new traditional items each year. About 280,000 of the library stock items are available in the open stock. The University community has access to 59 licensed scientific databases, containing more than 700,000 electronic documents. Library users are provided with 770 workspaces, 237 of which are computerized. The library has 20 individual and group workspaces (133 work places), rest zones. Users with special needs are provided with height adjustable desks and chairs, special keyboards, software, desktop video magnifiers for visually impaired, Braille printer. Self-service facilities of borrowing and return of books based on radio wave technologies (RFID) are installed for readers’ convenience. Using them, readers can borrow/return books, renew the loan term. Self-service facility of return working 24 hours a day is installed outside the central library building.
Library created/administered information systems and databases:
- The library e-catalogue contains information about library documents;
- Virtual Library (PRIMO) operates by one-stop shop principle and enables to perform search in VMU library catalogue, Research Publications and Master Theses and Dissertations databases, subscribed and open access databases, etc.
- Current Research information system (VMU CRIS) is the infrastructure of services and means designed for the accumulation and management of research publications and activities by the members of the University community. System components:
- Research Publications Database contains scientific publications written by University employees;
- Database of University Master Theses and Dissertations gives an overview of master theses in electronic version, written by University students;
- University Repository of Electronic Publications provides an infrastructure for services and enables the accumulation, management, dissemination, and long-term preservation of e-documents;
- University Researchers database contains information about the research interests of the researchers, their research activity, career, achievements, etc. Links to publications, coordinated projects, departments where researchers work are provided. The profiles of each researcher have a permanent web address.
- University projects database provides information on projects coordinated and/or partnered by the University. Links with scientists and departments involved in projects are provided. Each project has a permanent web address.
- Registry of University academic departments provides information on University departments of different levels, research clusters, working groups. Links with the researchers, publications and projects are provided. Each department has a permanent web address.
- Library website provides complete information about the Library, its services, licensed or trial scientific databases, and news of upcoming library meetings, exhibitions and events. The portal is equipped with up-to-date communication services, Facebook (Vytauto Didžiojo universiteto biblioteka), which always welcomes your feedback regarding the services provided.
- President Valdas Adamkus Library (S. Daukanto St. 25, I floor, Kaunas). Collection is constantly updated with new documents from the personal President‘s library. Aleksandras Štromas, Bronius Kviklys and Vytautas Kavolis collections are also available.
- Vaclovas Biržiška Library (K. Donelaičio St. 52–218, Kaunas). More than 45,000 items are available on philosophy, history, art, theology, philology, literature, foreign languages study books, the latest dissertations, habilitation works and their summaries, daily papers. Home library for Faculties of Humanities, Arts, Catholic Theology, Institute of Foreign Languages.
- Leonidas Donskis Library (V. Putvinskio St. 23, I floor, Kaunas). More than 22,000 items are available for study programs and research in Economics and Management, Political Sciences and Diplomacy.
- Vincas Čepinskis Library (Vileikos St. 8–602/605, Kaunas). More than 25,000 items are available on environment protection, biology, chemistry, physics, geology, astronomy, mathematics and statistics, informatics and other related items. Home library for faculties of Informatics and Natural Sciences.
- Mykolas Romeris Library (Jonavos St. 66–106, Kaunas). More than 24,000 items are available on psychology, sociology, law, social work, social politics, educational science, anthropology and other related items. Home library for faculties of Law and Social Sciences.
- Music Academy Library (V. Čepinskio St. 5, Kaunas). Books on music theory and history, performance art, music analysis, pedagogics and didactics in various languages, notes, periodicals.
- Education Academy Library (T. Ševčenkos St. 31, LT-03111, Vilnius). More than 300,000 items for studies in Education academy. About 20,000 latest items are available in open stock.
- Agriculture Academy Library (Studentų St. 11–235, Universiteto St. 10–200, Akademija, Kaunas district). More than 470, 000 items are available on agriculture, economics, energy, engineering, forestry, etc. About 86,000 latest items are available in open stock.
|Library area – 5593 m2|
Visits and work places
|Number of physical and virtual visits – 459 638|
|770 work places for users :|
|Computer-equipped – 237|
|Individual/group work – 133|
|Special needs – 19|
Information resources and their use
|Traditional stock of library documents – 1 139 592 items|
|E-catalogue (31/12/2020) – 510 653 bibliographic records|
|Document loan – 78 276 items|
|Reading on site and borrowing – 128 322 items|
|Number of documents in open stacks – 280 152 items|
|61 subscribed database|
|25 trial databases|
|Full-text documents in subscribed databases – 657 096|
|Searches and views in databases –804 477|
|Downloands of full-text documents – 397 815|
|– Total number of records – 90 454:|
|– Full-text documents – 29 672|
|– Links to full-text documents – 10 000|
|– Number of publications – 65 314|
|– Number of University journals – 41|
|– Number of studies final works (ETD) – 18 450|
|– Researchers‘ profiles – 667|
|– Department profiles – 178|
|– Included projects – 299|
Information literacy training
|Trainings – 44 academic hours, 528 participants|
|34 329 information requests answered|
|10 video presentations prepared|
|42 topics prepared in subject index SubjectPlus|
Other resources and services
|Open Journal System platform (ejournals.vdu.lt) – 9 journals|
|DOI assigned to 471 e- document|